How does wireless internet work
Wireless internet is a term that is in reference to the wireless way of receiving and sending of all data in the Internet instead of making use of a wired infrastructure or backbone. It is also called at times, wireless network or networking. Many are of this opinion that the wireless internet is WiFi, while some are of this opinion that it is an internet access on the basis of radio and there are few who thinks that wireless internet is Satellite internet. There is a presence of internet accessibility on cellular base.
In reality the accessibility of wireless internet is described on the basis of radio frequencies. There are rectangular shaped boxes that are mounted on the top of various houses and these are connected with the Wireless Internet Access. Wireless Internet Service Provider or WISP works in one’s computer. There would either be the presence of a radio transmitter or a cabling through the ISP that would send signals to the tower. To reach one’s home, the signal can travel via various towers first. After the signal reaches the tower that is nearest, then it passes to the receiver directly. Now from the receiver, the signal would then go to the networking cable to one’s modem or modulator or demodulator as it is also known as. When the modulation is taking place, it in fact is making all the outgoing data comprehensible with the wireless network. Demodulation makes the signal comprehensible to the computer of the user.
Wireless Internet Service Provider or WISP makes use of frequencies and they are secured too. This is because there is an addiction of encryption in the signal. The most common encryption is DES. With the frequencies there are also other attributes too. After the collection of all the beaming signals from the tower, subscribers having the wireless internet accessibility would receive a wireless internet receiver. Through this receiver, data is received through cable lines and then it is transmitted to the computer of connection to over 802.11b. There is also a requirement of a direct path that to the tower, with a clear and obstacle free path, one can download in a much faster rate.
The advantages of wireless internet are:
- Wireless internet provides great service to all the customers with a speed of 2 megabytes/second. And the speed would develop more in the future.
- One can get the service of wireless internet in any parts of an urban zone and subscribers from rural areas are also being utilized too, with the construction of towers.
- Wireless internet is cheaper than the satellite broadband.
- With the wireless internet, users can get a lot of devices and services, for example, wireless microphones, headphones, keyboards and also computers.
Disadvantages of wireless internet are:
- Power is consumed to a much higher level by wireless internet than the other internet services. This as such might cause the heating of the batteries and there would be the requirement to change them too.
- There are higher chances of hacking with the wireless internet connection, though there is software for security, like firewall that can prevent the hacking issues.
- There is a presence of limited range in wireless internet network, usually. It might be 150 feet indoors in range and 300 feet in range outdoors.
But in spite of all the pros and cons, wireless internet services are affordable and effective too. Cables are used for this purpose and after this other technologies are also used like 3G and WiMax, which provides wireless connection for 24×7 and at a stretch, with effectiveness.